Letters & Essays
Founders of the Institute of Psychophysical Research
Sir George Joy
Sir George Joy KBE CMG (20 February 1896 – 25 April 1974) was a soldier and colonial governor.
Joy was born in London, and educated at St. Francis Xavierís College in Bruges, Belgium, where he became fluent in French. He served in the British Army from 1914 to 1923, and during the First World War saw action in Flanders.
In 1924 Joy joined the British Colonial and Foreign Office, where his fluency in French was a professional asset. His first appointment was as Assistant Resident Commissioner for the New Hebrides Condominium, administered jointly by the British and the French. In 1928 he became Resident Commissioner and Consul for the Western Pacific, and conjoint Consul for the Hoorn and Wallace Islands.
During the Second World War, Joy added Arabic to his linguistic skills, and in 1940 became Resident Adviser to Sultan Sir Salih Bin Ghalib al Quaiti KCMG, Sultan of the State of Shihr and Mukalla in the Hadhramaut, and to the Sultan of Selyun in the Kathiri State. From 1942 to 1946 he was Civil Secretary to the Government of Aden.
His final colonial appointment was as Governor and Commander-in-Chief of St. Helena, a post he held from 1946 to 1953. The islandís website notes that during his governorship he increased wages for all Government workers by one shilling (worth approximately £5 in 2015 currency).
Joy was appointed CMG in 1945, and knighted in 1949.
In retirement Sir George was instrumental, along with Admiral the Hon. A.C. Strutt and W.H. Salter, in the setting up of the Strutt Research Fund. This Fund supplied the initial financing for the Institute of Psychophysical Research, a charity founded in 1965 by Celia Green and Charles McCreery to carry out research into the mind-body problem.
Admiral Arthur Strutt
Vice-Admiral the Hon. Arthur Charles Strutt CBE (2 October 1878 – 10 February 1973) was Master of the Fleet under Admiral Sir David Beatty (later Earl Beatty) during the First World War, and took part in the Battle of Jutland.
Arthur Strutt was born on 2 October 1878, the second son of the physicist, the 3rd Baron Rayleigh.
Part of Struttís education took place at HMS Britannia, the Naval Shore Establishment now known, since 1953, as HMS†Dartmouth.
On 4 October 1899, Strutt was confirmed in the rank of Sub-Lieutenant. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant on 31 December 1900. On 15 February 1913, he was appointed to HMS Queen Mary as Navigating Officer, and on 30 June 1913 he was promoted to the rank of Commander.
Strutt was transferred from HMS Queen Mary to HMS Lion on 30 November 1915, on which latter ship he took part in the Battle of Jutland (31 May to 1 June 1916). HMS Queen Mary was sunk in that battle, with great loss of life. From 1916 to 1918 he served as Master of the Fleet in HMS Queen Elizabeth, under the Flag of Earl Beatty. He was made a Captain in 1917.
On 27 September 1920, Strutt was appointed in command of the light cruiser Constance. From 1923 to 1925 he was Director of Navigation at the Admiralty. On 8 April 1928, he was appointed a Naval Aide-de-Camp to King George V.
He was promoted to the rank of Rear-Admiral on 28 February 1929, and placed on the Retired List on 1 March of that year. He was appointed Vice-Admiral, retired, in 1933. In 1934 Strutt married the Hon. Mrs Cyril Ward.
In retirement Admiral Strutt, in collaboration with Sir George Joy and W.H. Salter, set up the Strutt Research Fund, which supplied the initial financing for the Institute of Psychophysical Research.